Friday, June 6, 2008

Over a Barrel

Rising prices are no fun, but I can't say I'm really surprised -- I mean, have prices ever gone down? Not really. Let's face it, 20 years from now we'll all be saying "remember when we only paid $5 for a gallon of milk? Ahh, those were the days" .... as we shell out $8 for the same gallon of milk.

Anyway, last night I went to the grocery store to buy a few essentials, and my jaw hit the ground when I got mugged in the express lane. No ... not really mugged, but I seriously felt like I had been robbed when I left with a measly 2 items for $20. What de falk!?!?!?!?! I shop all the time so I'm well aware of what prices are, but for some reason I was really struck by atrocity:

A 20-pack of toilet paper - $17!!!!!!
Loaf of bread - $3

These people know I have to wipe my ass, and they're holding it against me. Personally, I think $1 a roll is ridiculous, but what are you going to do? Pull a Sheryl Crow? I think not!!

Why does it not bother me to spend $10 on a block of cheese, but paying $17 to make sure I have a clean hiney for a month bugs me? Maybe because cheese is delicious, and toilet paper ...... isn't?

4 comments:

schue said...

Seriously, driving from A to B, and wiping your ass are luxuries these days.

Anonymous said...

You could always wipe your ass with bread.

Squeezably soft!

Anonymous said...

Oh, dammit! The WRH got to the funny line before me! So, yeah, bread.
Ha.

Los said...

We'll be wiping our butts with leaves before you know it!