Friday, May 30, 2008

E C N A L U B M A

These are the letters written on the front of every ambulance. They're written backwards so that drivers can actually read the word "ambulance" when looking in their rear view mirrors, and properly identify this as an emergency vehicle.

If it weren't written backwards so everybody could read its name-tag, what would people think this sirened, speeding, light-flashing vehicle shaped like an ambulance was? An ice cream truck?

Why not add a question to the Driver's License exam: "What is this vehicle?" .... show a picture of an ambulance with the label missing. If someone can't figure it out, it should be immediate failure.

The impetus for this lil dissertation? This morning I was at an intersection with an ambulance in front of me, one behind me and one going through the intersection. It got me thinking about these things ..... and also how some people call it an "am-bew-LANTS."

8 comments:

Los said...

I've never looked closely enough at an ambulance to notice that ... I see the flashing lights and the erradic (sp) driving, and get the heck out of the way ....

SGM said...

yrassecennu mees seod ti thgir er'uoY

SGM said...

Please view previous comment in mirror

schue said...

It sounds like a dance that me and Maksim Chmerkovskiy will be performong on the next season of Dancing with the Stars. The Ecnalumba!! Cha cha cha.

Sandi said...

You are right on. As soon as I hear the siren and see the lights, I pull over. I don't need to read what it is first.

Why don't police cars say "ecilop" for fire engines say "enigne erif"?

Shelley Jaffe said...

While you're on the subject, may I just rant for a moment about the idiot asshats who, when hearing the siren, and having the ECNALUBMA up in their grill, just sit there like a deer in the headlights? Pull over, you morons!!! To the RIGHT!!

ArchiVision Directory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ArchiVision Directory said...

I now a nice webtool called typemirror that can write your words backwards. Now you can fool around with your friends with a 'MIRROR-Writhed' text. http://archivision-directory.blogspot.com/2010/10/have-you-ever-wondered-why-ambulance-on.html