Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Carrie vs. Miranda

So this week the massively hyped "Sex and the City" movie premiers, and I really couldn't be more excited. I've seen every episode of the series at least 3 times, and still want more. For those of you who are fans, you know it's the friendship and kooky personalities that keep us watching. That and the "girl talk only" truths revealed on camera that bond us women like a secret society that's not-so-secret anymore. At some point, we all (or at least me and everyone I know) have been dreamers, sluts, career girls, unable to settle into a man, a shoe, a life that fits.

Anyway, all of this reminds me of a dinner party I went to at my friend Kelly's house years ago. Somehow, all of the girls ended up in a room taking a "Which Sex and the City character are you most like" quiz on the computer. It meant nothing to me because at that point I had no HBO and had never seen the show. I don't remember which character I was like, but I do remember somebody explaining the characters to me: "you want to be like Carrie, she's cool .... but not Miranda, she's the homely, ugly one."

Hmmm.

Now that I know the characters, I can't say I'd want to be like Carrie. I think she's the most annoying of the 4 girls, and aside from her over-the-top shoe collection and writing career, I don't know there's much I envy about her. I always thought she was weak and a whiner, not to mention stupid for dumping Aidan.

The "homely" Miranda? I've actually come to really like her character, and would never use the word "homely" to describe her. She's smart, successful ... a little edgy and hard on the outside, but soft on the inside. Hmm, sounds familiar. I will say this, I hate her hair.

So next week I'll have a movie review for you. I've purposefully avoided the shows about the movie so I can be surprised. I'll let you know .....

6 comments:

Los said...

I know Schue is REALLY excited about this movie ... I told her I'd go with her if she wanted, but she said she'd probably see it with you ... which is fine with me.

Sandi said...

I agree with you completely. I found Carrie whiney, irresponsible and annoying, especially after she dumped Aidan. Who in their right mind would have dumped Aidan? I always related to Miranda.

SGM said...

I TOTALLY forgot about that.

I'll be honest - I don't want to be any of them.

Carrie is so ugly and whiney, Miranda bugs me no end, the little brown haired one is pathetic, and the sexpot is just too old and sad for that to work anymore.

I knew to figure out who I want to be ...

SOOOOOO glad you are back

schue said...

Yeah,they all got kinda annoying, but who cares, I cant wait to see the movie!!

Shelley Jaffe said...

I took a quiz on facebook (when the f*cking thing was still working), and it said I was a Charlotte. Huh.

Must be the little dog and the Jewish husband...Or that I'm a prude dressed up as a modern woman...

Unknown said...

Well talking about Miranda and Kentucky Derby. Both are The people demanded it and now they have got it and its pretty. This week we review a bunch of short screen's we received but its mainly just Deejay's whirlpool of drunkenness.
----------------
Joey

Kentucky Treatment Centers