Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Bucky

Coming home from work one night this summer, I saw something crazy as I was parking my car. I looked at the basketball courts, and there was my friend Bucky running around the courts in an Elvis wig and cape! What a nut. He's got to be one of the most hilarious people I've ever met.

Back in September on the morning of the 2St 5K run, Sue and I were making our way to the starting gate. We squeezed through the crowds and said a "pardon me" as we edged past somebody dressed in a big bird costume. Yep, it was Bucky. I have no idea why he was wearing a big bird costume to the run, but it was pretty funny to see a big yellow-feathered Big Bird smoking Marlboro Reds on the corner at 9am.

What made me think of this was an unexpected course of events this morning. I was in my peapod dozing and watching TV when I heard a bunch of bagpipes outside my house. I was pretty sure I wasn't dead and they weren't coming for me, so I poked my head out to see what was going on. There was a memorial service out on the street for a fallen firefighter who lost his life 61 years ago on the corner of my street. The city was dedicating a memorial plaque, so there were tons of people from the fire department, neighborhood, news and politicians standing around for the event. For someone who's been in a funk for the last 5 months, I really didn't need another funeral to go to but curiousity got the best of me. As I stood on the corner listening to the service, someone came up and whispered in my ear "Now would be a really good time for us to go streak out in the middle of the street." I turned around -- it was Bucky. He cracked me up.

Bucky is the youngest 60-something I know. I'm so happy I started playing darts and got to meet him. He's crazy and always makes me laugh

1 comment:

Shelley Jaffe said...

Oh, how I wish I lived in South Philly to meet this here Bucky person! He sounds like he has the sort of whack-a-doodle spirit that I
thrive on. Lucky you!!